Jika anda sedang membuka akun fb dan ingin mengirim alamat posting ini kedinding anda, silahkan klik jempol dibawah:
DEGREE OF COMPARISON
Degree of comparison digunakan untuk menunjukkan adanya tingkat perbandingan antara dua hal atau lebih. Degree of comparison dapat berupa perbandingan Adjectives atau perbandingan Adverb.
JENIS-JENIS DEGREE OF COMPARISON
1. Positive Degree
S + P + AS ADJECITVE/ADVERB AS + PRONOUN
§ He is as careful as my mother (adjective)
§ He speaks as carefully as a president (adverb)
2. Comparative Degree
S + P + ADJECTIVE-ER/MORE ADJECTIVE + THAN PRONOUN or
S + P + ADVERB-ER/MORE ADVERB + THAN PRONOUN
§ My score is always better than her
§ Tania studies harder than I do
3. Superlative Degree
S + P + THE ADJECTIVE-EST/MOST ADJECTIVE or
S + P + THE ADVERB-EST/MOST ADVERB
§ Edo is the best student in the class
§ Nanda talks the most politely of all his friends
4. Double Comparative
THE + COMPARATIVE + CLAUSE,
THE + COMPARATIVE + CLAUSE
§ The sooner he comes, the better he will prepare.
§ The smarter he is, the more arrogantly he talks
1. Irregular comparatives and superlatives:
2. Akhiran –er/-est pada comparative dan superlatives digunakan apabila jumlah suku kata pada adjectives/adverb kurang dari 2 suku kata. Apabila suku kata lebih dari 2, maka digunakan awalan more/ the most.
§ Smart_______smarter________the smartest
§ Beautiful_____more beautiful___the most beautiful
3. Tetapi, apabila adjective/adverb diakhiri dengan akhiran; -some, -le, -er, -ow, dan-py, dalam pemakaian formal, meskipun lebih dari 2 suku kata tetap diakhiri dengan –er/-est.
§ Handsome___bisa more handsome/handsomer
§ Clever_________cleverer/more clever
Kesalahan-kesalahan Dalam Degree of Comparison
Kategori: Grammar - Dibaca: 1014 kali
Perhatikan beberapa contoh di bawah ini bagaimana kesalahan-kesalahan sering terjadi di dalam pembentukan Degree of Comparison:
- (SALAH) Alice is taller than any other girls in the class.
- (BENAR) Alice is taller than any other girl in the class.
- (SALAH) Iron is more useful than any other metals.
- (BENAR) Iron is more useful than any other metal.
- (SALAH) He is in class fifth.
- (BENAR) He is in class five. OR He is in the fifth class.
- (SALAH) He is more taller than I am.
- (BENAR) He is taller than I am.
- (SALAH) From the two he is the smarter.
- (BENAR) He is the smarter of the two.
- (SALAH) From the three he is more tall.
- (BENAR) He is the tallest of the three.
- (SALAH) I have never seen a so good girl.
- (BENAR) I have never seen so good a girl.
1. Her brother is…his brother
a. cleverer than
b. more cleverer than
c. clever than
d. the cleverest than
e. cleverer from
2. He speaks …as his father
a. more clearly
c. as clearly
d. the most clearly
e. as clear
3. “What do you think of those shirts?”
“I think the red one…than the others”
b. more suitabler
c. more suitable
d. the most suitabler
e. as suitable
4. Mr. Umar is a teacher with …explanation
a. as clear as
b. so clear as
c. the clearest
d. more clear than
5. Zubaidah answers the questions given by the
d. more quickly
e. the most quickly
6. Rommi is a diligent student. He always
studies…than I do
c. more hard
d. more hardly
7. My father is …considerate than my uncle.
8. Mr. Jaja has four sons and couple of daughters.
a. he has more sons than daughters
b. he has fewer sons than daughters
c. his daughter are more than his sons
d. he has daughter as many as sons
e. His daughters are not beautiful.
9. “I want to go to Palembang by train but I don’t
have enough money to take executive class.
“why don’t you take the economic class?, it
is….but it is cheaper than executive.
d. as bad as
e. more worse
10. “I think Tv program is….than Radio”
“I agree with you. It has audio and visual
a. less interesting
b. more interesting
c. as interesting as
d. the most interesting
11. Andy’s book costs Rp.2000
Budi’s book costs Rp.3000
Rudi’s book costs Rp. 1000
a. Budi’s book is the cheapest
b. Rudi’s book is the most expensive
c. Andi’s book is cheaper than Rudi’s
d. Rudi’s book is more expensive than Bui’s
e. Rudi’s book is the cheapest of all
12. My house is…than yours
c. more further
d. the furthest
e. as far
13. “I think Taufiq will be the champion of the
“Yes. He played…than before yesterday”
14. “I like this radio. The programs are
“I know. It is good. But Galaxy radio is…
a. as good as
c. the best
e. more good
15. “We are in a hurry. How should we go
“I think motorcycle will be better. It is…
16. Santi is 160cm. Nova is 165cm. Arman
a. Arman is taller than Nova
b. Santi is taller than Arman
c. Santi is the tallest
d. Nova is taller than Santi
e. Santi is as tall as Nova
17. I have practiced a lot this year. I am sure I
can dance….than she does
a. more beautiful
c. as beautiful
e. more beautifully
18. He seemed…when he heard about the news
this time than before.
a. more happy
b. more happily
e. with happiness
19. I like both gowns, but the white one is…than
a. beautiful than
b. more beautiful than
c. as beautiful as
d. the most beautiful
e. more beautifully
20. Who comes …? Usman or yusuf?
b. the earliest
c. as early as
d. the early
21. The more you got problem answers …you
will understand this chapter.
a. the well
b. the best
c. the better
d. the good
e. the worse
22. The more beautiful she is….she acts.
a. the more arrogant
b. the arrogant
d. the most arrogantly
e. the more arrogantly
23. ….he can answer those questions, the better
the result will be.
a. the soon
b. the soonest
c. the sooner
d. the soon as
e. the better
24. The more he got the champion …he got the
a. the more
e. the most
25. I have talked to …girl I have ever met.
a. very kindest
b. the most kindest
c. a kind
e. the kindest